Friday, July 6, 2012

Women Feel Less Safe Than Men in Many Developed Countries

Women Feel Less Safe Than Men in Many Developed Countries

I can go a few ways with this data, the one that is of most interest to me is that Women often can hear those little pin pricks of caution more that Men can.  So I can see this study, of a feeling, as a positive for women.

I do see a lot of people taking this in the response that a women must feel this way more because they are weaker, or less aggressive.  Once again, I take this as a positive as well.  When a man carries a weapon they tend, over the average, to do much dumber things with security like acting too aggressive, or feeling that with the weapon they can take on bigger folks.  When I think the real way to handle security is to not put yourself in the situation.

 Maybe it is my feminine side, or I am a coward, but I think walking into situations that are quite possibly dangerous, is a bad bet, and will try and not let it happen to often.  Unless it is my job that day, in which case that is what I am paid for.  Which as trainer of bodyguards, I still try and instill in them, that walking into danger is not your real job, keeping the client out of danger is the real job, which means yourself as well.

I just re tweeted a quote today, that went like this, If you are not happy with the place you are in right now, you have three options, remove yourself from the situation or place you are in, change the place you are in or yourself, and lastly accept it.   This is the one time when talking about fear or danger, I will say remove yourself from the situation first, to get a perspective and analyse the other two options.  Which could mean your are going to get a friend to go to that place with you, or call the  police, or what ever.  The last choice you should make in a possibly dangerous situation is to accept it.

Yet, this is what I see people do, using statements like it is just an unfounded fear, it could be but step back out of the situation to analyse it.  Sometimes they say, well that is just my racial bias showing, once again maybe, but get back away from the situation to analyse it, remember when Pastor Jackson said he often changes sides of the street when he sees a group of young black men heading toward him.  I do the same with a group of young white men walking toward me, if I do not know them.  It just makes good sense.

Listen to your fear, that does not mean you have to let it control you, but listen to it, it will often provide the protection you need.

I would be interested in other opinions on this?

Rich

1 comment:

  1. Women 1 Men 0
    Women may have an advantage in situations like this over men because of their apparent sense that they feel less safe walking down any street, thus having their guard up. For a man to walk the same street feeling confident, not making his surrounds a priority, can lead to problems without solutions when time is precious.

    Knowing your surroundings whenever, wherever you’re at is priority one. I learned that early on in my law enforcement career. I also learned after partaking in an FBI sponsored Street Survival Tactics course that controlling the inevitable; fear is very important to survival.

    ReplyDelete